Formal Email: Self Introduction


To: Mr. Blackstone
From: Laura Lai
Subject: [BHB2803] Self Introduction

Dear Mr. Blackstone,

I am Laura, a second-year student studying at the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). Currently pursuing a bachelor in hospitality business, I would like to take this opportunity to formally introduce myself.

Many may not be aware but “Laura” is not registered under my birth certificate. My name is only reflected “Lai Jia Hua” on official documents. This has caused some confusion to teachers and course mates over the years. Many also assume that I have given the name myself or that it is a Christian name. Although it is true that I am a Christian, however, I did not obtain that name through my religion. My 2 elder siblings and I only have our Chinese names written in our birth certificates. However, all of us possess individual English names as well. These names were already named at birth by my parents but for some reason, are not reflected on paper. Thus, whenever people question about my English name, I simply say that my parents were too lazy to write down extra alphabets on paper. In reality, it is because my father was educated in Chinese schools and has a traditional mindset, so he did not place English names in the government register.

Prior to joining SIT, I graduated in 2017 from Republic Polytechnic, with a diploma in integrated events management. During poly, I did my internship with Hotelbeds for six months under their sales support department. It was a great experience as I got to meet new people and experience the workforce for the first time. As a marketing intern, I was tasked to produce weekly electronic direct mailers (EDM) to send out to various clients. It was quite stressful at times as I had to analyse how well received each mailing was at the end of each month in order to further improve my work.

In terms of communication, I would consider myself as someone who is soft-spoken with new acquaintances. However, with close friends, many would consider me as someone talkative who loves to joke around, and I am sometimes loud when excited. I can be pretty lame as I love to make people smile and liven up their spirits. This has also made me someone who is sensitive to others’ emotions. I think this is an important trait to have as it allows me to adjust my communication method with the person that I am speaking to.

I hope that through this module, I would be able to become more confident in public speaking and improve my communication skills. This would be beneficial in being an effective communicator during my Integrated Work Study Programme (IWSP) in the coming trimester.

I look forward to getting to know everyone better through the coming weeks.

Thank you.


Regards,
Laura Lai


Edited on: 11/2/2019



Commented on:
- Tricia
- Hannah
- Syairah 
- Swathi

Comments

  1. Hello Laura!! The story behind your name is truly interesting! I would love to know more about your experience on doing up EDMs as it is my first time knowing someone who did it! I also hope that you achieve your goals for this module :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura, I would love to hear more about your working experience with Hotelbeds and the marketing aspect of your job such as the EDMs that you had to curate weekly. Hope to know you more during this module.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura, I find that the story of your name were very interesting. Thank you for sharing it! I am quite curious to know if you were given an opportunity to work closely with the designers to design the EDM. If so, how was the experience like? I look forward to work with you and improve our communication skills along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Syairah,

      Thank you for your encouraging comment.

      To answer your question, yes I did get the opportunity to work with designers. We are only expected to work with designers if we need a new backdrop picture for the EDM. The process was through a software that allows the company to request for new designs. I did not get to communicate much with them as they seem to know what was expected. Therefore the experience was more of telling them what theme or occasion that the design was for. Other than that, the placement of the different sections of the EDM are entirely up to me (under the supervision of my managers).

      I hope I was able to answer your question.

      See you in class!


      Cheers

      Delete
  4. Hi Laura! I enjoyed your self introduction. It is interesting how your name came about! Out of curiosity, have you considered naming yourself a different name since it is not reflected in our birth certificate?

    Have a good day ahead!

    Best regards,
    Tricia Tan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tricia,

      Thank you for your comment and leaving such an interesting question for me!

      I have actually never considered naming myself differently. I quite like my name as I find it rather unique. Also, I have yet to meet another "Laura". So I guess you can say that I am rather satisfied with my name (:

      Hope you had a great short break!

      See you in class!


      Cheers


      Delete
  5. Hi Laura. I didn’t know the story behind your name is so interesting! I, too, have a weakness for public speaking. Let’s do our best to improve our public speaking together.

    I have one thing to suggest, for the first line of your email: the word ‘the’ may not necessary. “I am Laura, a second-year student studying at the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT)” --> “I am Laura, a second-year student studying at Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT)”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah,

      Thank you for your comment and constructive feedback . It is nice knowing that I am not alone in facing similar weaknesses!

      I will note down the suggestions that you have given and make relevant amendments.

      See you around in class!


      Cheers

      Delete
  6. Dear Laura,

    First, let me say thank you for explaining your name. That was an interesting and I'd suggest enlightening part of your letter. You also do a fairly good job responding to the main specifications of the assignment. You describe how your start in hospitality developed by covering your internship experience, and you address your communication strength. You then tie your goal to a perceived weakness. I appreciate the detailed, honest self assessment.

    You don't mention language use though that's an area we will focus on this term, so let's start by considering these points:

    1. sentence structure
    -- it is because my father was educated in Chinese schools and has a traditional mindset – so no English names in the government register. > it is because my father was educated in Chinese schools and has a traditional mindset, so he did not place English names in the government register.
    -- I graduated from Republic Polytechnic, diploma in integrated events management back in 2017. > I graduated in 2017 from Republic Polytechnic, with a diploma in integrated events management.
    -- However, with close friends, many would consider me as someone talkative who loves to joke around and am sometimes loud when excited.
    > However, with close friends, many would consider me as someone talkative who loves to joke around, and I am sometimes loud when excited.

    2. phrasing
    -- I was tasked to do up > I was tasked to produce

    I look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Blackstone,

      Thank you for your constructive feedback.

      I will note down the respective points mentioned and make relevant amendments.


      Regards,
      Laura

      Delete
    2. Your're welcome, Laura.

      Enjoy your holiday!

      Brad

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interpersonal Communication Issue in a Workplace

Welcome Message